Tuesday, June 19, 2012

LDS Homeschool Conference - August 10th and 11th, 2012 - BEAUTIFUL ARTICLE

Article by Tresta K. Neil - KeystoneEd.com

As a young homeschool mother my faith in myself, my abilities and in my Savior were greatly increased by my friend and mentor LuJean Livingston. Each month a few of us would sit at her feet and listen as she unfolded the mystery of how to teach our children at home. She would quote the prophets, read from the scriptures, unveil a beautiful new piece of art, sing hymns and tell stories. She brought in guests who taught us about music, art and math. She had mothers share their homeschool experiences in literature and language, history and geography. LuJean could, almost magically, take one word and add life, understanding and beauty to it. I looked forward to each month, each new nugget of knowledge and understanding; I longed for the spirit I felt there. My understanding and faith grew tremendously during those years. I gained the confidence in my ability to teach my children and gained a true education for myself along the way.
Recently I have come to realization of what a gift that experience was for me. It wasn’t about the mechanics of teaching each subject, it was the words she used to help me feel the spirit who then taught me through the feelings within my heart. Through her words my faith was increased and I was able to bring home and teach my family with the spirit to help them create more faith through learning.

Joseph Smith taught that the mind of Man is the organ of creation, and words, he said, are what set faith in motion.

Thoughts and words unleash faith’s tremendous power.

“What are we to understand by a man’s working by faith? We answer -- we understand that when a man works by faith he works by mental exertion instead of physical force. It is by words, instead of exerting his physical powers, with which every being works when he works by faith.” (Lectures on Faith 7, emphasis added)

At the LDS Homeschool Conference we want to create an atmosphere much like my own experience. A place where our faith will increase through the words of the presenters and the thoughts of the participants. A place where not only mechanics and lesson plans are taught but also where the spirit is felt, where the Holy Ghost bring into your heart what you need for your family. A place where we may “Seek Learning by Faith” (D&C 88:118.)

We invite you to join us for the LDS Homeschool Conference August 10th and 11th, 2012 at the American Heritage School in American Fork, Utah. There will be a youth panel Friday night where you’ll see what other home school youth are doing and their variety of experiences.  Saturday will be filled with adult and youth options for classes, workshops and reenactments. There will be scripture discussions, vendors, and a family ball. There will even be a pot-luck meal option during lunch to provide more opportunities to connect with other families and learn from each other.

The theme this year is “Seek Learning by Faith” and it is our hope that through the teachings at this conference your faith in yourself and in your abilities will greatly increase. We hope that you will seek the opportunities that will bring you closer to the desires of your heart and to Jesus Christ, our Savior.

For further information and registration go to LDS Homeschool Conference

With increasing light and learning,
Tresta K. Neil
Tresta@KeystoneEd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment